Central Saint Martins, often abbreviated to CSM, is a public tertiary art school in London, England. It is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London.It offers full-time courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and a variety of short and summer courses.
It was formerly known as Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, and before that as Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
The Central School of Art and Design was established as the Central School of Arts and Crafts in 1896 by the London County Council. It grew directly from the Arts and Crafts movement of William Morris and John Ruskin. The first principal, from 1896 until 1911, was William Richard Lethaby; a blue plaque in his memory was erected in 1957.The school was at first housed in Morley Hall, rented from the Regent Street Polytechnic. In 1908 it moved to purpose-built premises in Southampton Row, in the London Borough of Camden. In the same year the Royal Female School of Art, established in 1842, was merged into the school.Central became part of the London Institute in 1986, and merged with Saint Martin's in 1989.
Saint Martin's School of Art was established in 1854 by Henry Mackenzie, vicar of the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields. It became independent from the church in 1859. Frank Martin became head of the sculpture department in 1952; he brought in young sculptors and recent graduates of the department as teachers. Among these, Anthony Caro was particularly influential. The group around him came to be known as the New Generation of British sculptors and the sculpture department of Saint Martin's became, in the words of Tim Scott: "the most famous in the art world".Saint Martin's became part of the London Institute in 1986, and merged with Central in 1989.
上一条：英国切尔西艺术设计学院（Chelsea College of Art & Design）
下一条：英国皇家艺术学院（Royal College of Art|）
版权所有 2020 重庆工商大学 现代国际设计艺术学院 Copyright ?2020 MIADA. All Rights Reserved.